Analyzing NGSQ articles with MGP Principles Study Group
This is a monthly study group that will examine one National Genealogical Society Quarterly (NGSQ) journal article per month as posted on the website NGSQ Study Groups. We will study these articles with a focus on principles taught in Mastering Genealogical Proof (MGP) by Tom Jones. We will discuss topics on the genealogy standards, evidence analysis and correlation, writing, citations, and more. The cost is $75 for the year. For this price, you will get a monthly study group session for about one hour with your peers, led by Cyndi Ingle or Cari Taplin. You will receive the discussion questions about two weeks prior to the online meeting. There will also be a private Facebook Group for mid-month discussion. This Facebook group will be limited to study group participants only, so no outside noise!
Your commitment is to come prepared to discuss the questions (or simply show up and listen). We believe the benefit you will get out of a class is equal to the effort you put into it.
Please Note: You must have access to these articles either by being a member of NGS or from your local library. It is also highly recommended that you have a copy of Mastering Genealogical Proof. Due to copyright, we cannot provide copies of the articles to you.
There will be four sessions:
- NGSQ/MGP Monday 1:00 pm Eastern Sessions, with Cyndi Ingle – SOLD OUT
- NGSQ/MGP Monday 3:30 pm Eastern Sessions, with Cyndi Ingle – Register Here
- NGSQ/MGP Tuesday 1:00 pm Eastern Sessions, with Cari Taplin – Register Here
- NGSQ/MGP Tuesday 7:00 pm Eastern Sessions, with Cari Taplin – SOLD OUT
The current schedule for 2023 will be as follows (the dates will be updated with the corresponding articles as soon as they are published):
- Jan 9 & 10
- Feb 13 & 14
- Mar 13 & 14
- Apr 10 & 11
- May 8 & 9
- Jun 12 & 13
- July 10 & 11
- Aug 7 & 8
- Sep 11 & 12
- Oct 9 & 10
- Nov 13 & 14
- No class in December
This is meant to be an INTERMEDIATE discussion group, not a beginner or advanced. If you aren’t sure if you fall into that category here are some possibly helpful descriptors to help you decide (all or none could apply but this is the type of group we’re aiming for):
- You’ve read NGSQ articles and generally can follow them (I’m not asking if you fully understand them, but they aren’t “Greek” to you either)
- You own Mastering Genealogical Proof (or at least know what it is and will buy a copy before this class starts)
- You own or have access to a copy of Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills
- You’re interested in certification or accreditation
- You know what the Genealogical Proof Standard is
- ***The above are not requirements just ways to help you decide if you are ready.
To keep the discussion manageable and allow everyone a chance to speak, class size is limited to 25 participants!