I don’t know about you but I have some big plans for 2020! I always feel a bit of excitement as the new year gets closer. I am not sure if I feel exhausted at the end of a year from all of the hub-bub of the holidays, or if it’s the Winter doldrums (short days and the yearning to hibernate), but I start to feel a bit “draggy” and thinking about the new year gives me excitement.
For 2020, I already have a considerable number of conference speaking contracts as well as three all-day seminars scheduled so far! I list my upcoming lectures and seminars on my Speaking Calendar on my website (can be found in the menu bar at the top). I have also just received a contract for a large project to be done at the beginning of 2020.
One of the biggest plans I have for 2020 is the development of my new National Genealogical Society Quarterly with Mastering Genealogical Proof (NGSQ/MGP) discussion groups. There are still a couple of seats available in the Monday afternoon session. I am excited to work with old and new friends in these groups, studying these scholarly journals through the lens of MGP and the Genealogical Proof Standard (GPS).
Some of my 2020 travel plans include:
- Salt Lake Institue of Genealogy (SLIG) in January- Week 1: Meeting Standards Using DNA Evidence — Research Strategies, with Karen Stanbary; Week 2: DNA and the 21st-Century Professional with Angie Bush
- Ohio Genealogical Society Conference in April, Sandusky
- National Genealogical Society Conference in May, Salt Lake City
- Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRIP) in July
- Northwest Genealogy Conference in August, Arlington, WA
- Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference in September, Kansas City, MO
- Association of Professional Genealogists Professional Management Conference in October (details pending)
- Texas State Genealogical Society Conference in November (details pending)
I will be presenting three lectures for the Houston Genealogical Forum in February. The Tulsa, Oklahoma Library has hired me to present an all-day seminar in March. And I have a few other things that will be announced as the details are settled. I have a busy speaking year ahead of me!
Other goals I have are to write several articles (ideas still forming) and continue building my client base through speaking, writing, and blogging.
I hope you can find some time to assess what you’ve accomplished in the previous year and make some plans on how to grow or change in the new year.
Happy New Year!