The next section I include in my locality guide lists the newspapers available for a particular county. There are several ways I find this information.
- Chronicling America – I utilize their “US Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present” to determine what newspapers existed for the area of focus.
- Bowling Green State University’s LibGuide for “Finding Current and Historical Newspapers” – This list is for ALL newspapers, not just Ohio.
- Examine the online catalog for the local library(ies) for the area of focus. They may have a list of what is available there either digitally or on microfilm.
- Examine the state archives, state library, state historical society, and other state-level resources for newspaper availability.
- Examine the catalogs of the online subscription sites such as Newspapers.com, GenealogyBank, Newspaper Archive, and Ancestry.
- Utilize the FamilySearch Wiki and Cyndi’s List.
From these resources, I build a list of my own making in my locality guide, with live links and short descriptions. Here are some example sections:
Basically, just start building. When I start a new guide, I hit some of the basics, but then I add as I find more resources.
Next up, we will look at some more record types and how I include them in the guides.