During my time as a facilitator for the Certification Discussion Groups (CDG), organized by Jill Morelli, students indicated to me that they wished for some more options in discussion groups to talk more about the “meaty” techniques and methods of genealogical research, particularly when working with evidence analysis and the Genealogical Proof Standard.
I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while and have finally settled upon the details. This is a monthly study group that will examine one National Genealogical Society Quarterly (NGSQ) journal article per month. We will study these articles with a focus on principles taught in Mastering Genealogical Proof (MGP) by Tom Jones. We will discuss topics on the genealogy standards, evidence analysis and correlation, writing, citations, and more.
The cost is $50 for the year. For this price, you will:
- Participate in a monthly study group session for up to two hours with your peers, led by me, Cari Taplin.
- Receive the discussion questions at least two weeks prior to the online meeting.
- Have access to a private Facebook Group for mid-month discussion. This Facebook group will be limited to study group participants only, no outside noise!
There will be no individual feedback given unless you want to sign up for a private consultation session. There will be no required peer feedback, except for what you choose to post and receive in the FB group. Your commitment is to read the articles, any indicated sections in MGP, and come prepared to discuss the questions (or simply show up and listen). I believe the benefit you will get out of a class is equal to the effort you put into it.
Please Note: You must have access to these articles either by being a member of NGS or from your local library. You will also need to have a copy of Mastering Genealogical Proof. Due to copyright, I cannot provide copies to you.
There are three sessions, two daytime and one evening.
Sign up now or click for more information.
This is meant to be an INTERMEDIATE discussion group, not a beginner or advanced. If you aren’t sure if you fall into that category here are some possibly helpful descriptors to help you decide (all or none could apply but this is the type of group I’m aiming for):
- You’ve read NGSQ articles and generally can follow them (I’m not asking if you fully understand them, but they aren’t “Greek” to you either)
- You own Mastering Genealogical Proof(or at least know what it is and will buy a copy before this class starts)
- You own or have access to a copy of Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills
- You’re interested in certification or accreditation and have participated in one of Jill Morelli’s Certification Discussion Groups (CDG)
- You know what the Genealogical Proof Standard is.
If you aren’t sure, send me an email and we can discuss it further.
To keep the discussion manageable and allow everyone a chance to speak, class size is limited to 25 participants, so sign up now!
I’m looking forward to studying with you!
4 thoughts on “Announcing NEW NGSQ Study Groups”
Great idea! Do you mind if I post this on the CDG page?
Please do! I’d appreciate that!
When do they start and How do I sign up? I don’t see a link. Just finishing pro-gen.
There is a link in the blog post that points here: https://genealogypants.com/research-and-consultation-services/classes-and-study-groups/